2006-08-01

Hot Enough For You?

OK people, it's bloody hot.

I'm a 23 degree type of guy. It is currently 34, with a humidex of 46. Earlier today it reached 37.

Last night was the hottest night on record for Toronto - 27 plus humidity. Kinda explains why I was soaked when I finally got up. (I'm not sure if I slept)

Work was a little crazy. The huge HVAC system was in over drive. Apparently a/c systems in larger buildings have massive units which contain a waterfall - the water of course is cooled and pumped through the building, then is taken back outside. The waterfall helps to remove the heat from the water before it is chilled and pumped back inside.

It was too hot for that game. So they fed the system more fresh water. The unit was more or less Niagara Falls to exaggerate. So the building was cool. But there wasn't enough water pressure to flush the toilets beyond the third floor of the 6 floor building.

Then there was the power warnings. Save electricity. Turn off the TVs (I'm in the television business, so we have a lot of TVs). I jokingly told my co ordinator to unplug her clock radio as it was a drain on the grid.

"I agree," she claimed. "This is a serious situation. I think I should unplug my computer."

Funny girl.

All was for naught anyway, we were forced off the grid by the IESO. That's what happens when you pay less for power. The building's generator gives enough juice to power everything - we were on it for a week during the blackout. Air quality takes a real hit.

So, Ontario hit a record consumption of over 27,000 megawatts - that's with folks like us off the grid and retailers cutting half their lights.

Awesome - you guys appear to be listening to me and are not up for the Challenge.

Meanwhile, to compensate for my fan being on 2 and 3 instead of 1, I have:

Unplugged my DVD player
Removed one light bulb from my bathroom
Unplugged my cordless phone

I am open to suggestions on what to do with the $6 that surely will be mine!

Categories: , ,

1 comment:

Anon said...

Spending the 6 bucks is easy - live life on the edge and keep the fridge door open while you are pouring your milk into your coffee.

Buddy, you've got an air conditioner in your living room - please tell me that you have broken down and used it!

Vic