2006-07-10

Take back the sidewalks

Contrary to what appears to be popular opinion, sidewalks are for Pedestrians. Sean and I were having this conversation walking down Jarvis recently.

According to the Pedestrian Charter, a Pedestrian is a person who walks or uses an assistive mobility device. Furthermore, Toronto's definition of a sidewalk includes its use is exlusively for Pedestrians.

So get your bike off my friggin sidewalk! If you can't run with the big boys on the street, then lock up the damn thing and take the bus.

It's like this, people. When the piano player prepares for his first set, he invariably throws a five in the tip jar.

If all the bloody bike riders rode on the street, car drivers will adjust. Eventually I suppose, like how they adjust after the first snow. And the next 5.

I present for you as an example: Montréal. The only time someone is riding a bike on the sidewalk in that fair city is if they just stole it. Montréal is more of a bike town than Toronto I can certainly assure you. Especially if you're a thief.

Be that as it may, I say rollerbladers can continue to use the sidewalks, simply because they usually have nice legs. Everything else, carry it.

Now, on to the non-Ped Pedestrians. Our scooter-mobile friends. The possessors of AMDs.

All for the AMD-use-of-sidewalk thing, although I think one should need to prove his need for it versus being lazy. I've seen people healthier than me on those things....but that's not my present point.

My point is, I don't think AMDs should be allowed to go faster than walking speed. I'm quite a fast walker....I got legs and I know how to use them. No one should ever be passing me. Especially not on a motorised vehicle in which the guy at the helm is too old to hold his head up.

Of course, if you're using your AMD to go for a jog, you're allowed to pass me.

And from now on that's what I'll tell myself every time you do it.

I was reminded of that recent walk (and rant) with Sean when I came across this Torontoist entry about sidewalk use.

Categories: ,

No comments: