2006-07-19

Are You Up for the Challenge?

If you don't live in Toronto and you don't pay for electricity, just keep moving - there's nothing to see here.

My 'lectric is not included in rent. I presumably have my own meter somewhere in the building, and get my own bill. I don't use a lot of power - I don't have to worry about heat or water heating and there only varieties of major appliance in here are a fridge and stove.

Toronto Hydro is offering a 10% discount if you reduce power consumption by 10% at the end of a two month period. So I could stand to save $6, plus of course the savings on the power I didn't buy. Most consumers I suppose will fair much better if they're successful, because they consume more electricity.

One small snag in this. It apparently was 8% hotter last summer (the time period they are comparing to determine if you met the 10%) than usual. So, they made an 8% adjustment in power consumption. A very arbitrary assumption it would appear. So this means one needs to reduce power by 18% - not 10 - in order to get the 10% discount. They aren't going to prorate your actual usage this year, so if it's 8% hotter again, you're out of luck.

Air conditioner usage is tied directly with the temperature. Its power consumption is noticeable on power bills. So if you're sucking electricity out of the grid, you're more likely to hit your target, and it will be easiest for you.

I have beat-up old fan that's missing it's grill. I use it every night of the year. In heat waves, I sometimes set it to '2.' It makes a negligible difference to my bill.

How on earth will I ever save the $6!

I currently use the equivalent of 5.5 100-watt light bulbs, glowing 24/7. I need to turn off 1.2 of these bulbs for 125 days to save the $6.

I shall try, but I highly doubt I can get close.

Important to note, from their website:

How will Toronto Hydro-Electric System Limited pay for this?
The estimated cost of the new 2006 Summer Challenge program is $5.6 million. $3 million will be funded through already allocated conservation and demand-management funding. The remainder of the funding will be determined in 2007, based on how successful our customers were this summer in achieving their 10% 2006 Summer Challenge. While this could mean a rate increase, Toronto customers and the environment are still far ahead with a successful Summer Challenge program.
In other words, if this challenge is successful, you'll be paying for it with a rate increase anyway.
Do me the favour and don't try to conserve this summer.

No comments: