2008-05-22

Cookie Update

I received a response today from Sobeys regarding my correspondence thanking them for the free cookies:

Hello Ian,

Thank you for contacting Sobeys Customer Care to share with us your shopping experience at the Sobeys Express Yonge Street store.

I have shared your comments with Mr. [x], the store manager franchisee and have also forwarded your contact information. He would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you personally. Our Store Managers appreciate being able to speak with customers directly regarding any concerns as this provides the opportunity for them to fulfill our promise of making it right for our customers. [the manager] will contact you in the next few days.

Again we regret this experience and hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence in Sobeys.

The manager left me a voicemail today, welcoming me to call him or to "drop by and chat." It was actually a very welcoming message. He said a few things that stood out. He agreed directly that the pricing isn't where it should be and they would address this immediately although it would take some time. He also hopes I won't be able to get the cookies for free next time I'm in.

This is a far cry from the typical response I receive. As a regular reader, you're accustomed to my rants in this regard.

Overall, the service at Sobeys has always exceeded the competition. On the East Coast (where Sobeys owns the market), the service is insane. I was at a location in Charlottetown where every employee I passed acknowledged me in some way, usually with a "hello". Every retailer trains this technique (besides providing a good customer experience, an acknowledged customer is less likely to shoplift) - Sobeys seems to master it.

I'll be near the store tomorrow so I'll ask to speak to the manager.

And yes, I'll tell him which cookies I'm getting for free since he was good enough to acknowledge me.

Categories:

No comments: