2006-06-13

No need to apologise...

Like a good human I called my insurance company to pay my insurance for my apartment.

I hate paying the annual premium, because I've never had a claim, so there obviously isn't a return on the investment at this point. Insurance makes one hope for bad things, just to get one's money's worth. I suppose more insulting than never having a claim would be to have the place burn down with me in it.

I can picture my family going crazy re-buying all my possessions so they can split it up after the funeral.

In any event, I paid. And I was of course asked if I wanted to move my car insurance over.

"I don't have a car."
"Oh, I'm sorry."

What? Sorry about what? That you can't get a commission from me? That I'm a loser that can't afford a car? Or even worse, can't pass a driving test? That I have to take the TTC?

Believe it or not people, there are absolute hundreds of us in this city that manage to eke out reasonably decent lives without cars. We are not all freaks!

A colleague was recently planning a business trip to Montreal by train:

"Ian, is there parking at Union Station?"
"Why don't you take the subway?"
"The subway? Seriously? but I live in 905"
"So, take the bus to Finch."
"No, I can't forsee that happening."
"So, drive to work, leave your car here, and take transit"
"Um, so you don't know of any parking down there, eh?"
"Why don't you just drive to Montreal"

Who is the freak now?

When I call in to pay my premium next year, let's see if a notation was taken of my carlessness. I'm hoping they ask if I want life insurance...

Categories: ,

No comments: