2006-06-14

My MMORPG, yo!

One of my current distractions is Runescape. I fell upon it quite innocently nearly three months ago...and have been playing with gay abandon ever since.

If you've never seen anything like this, check it out. The concept blows me away. It's an online game where you complete a multitude of tasks and just generally chill in online world. There are a good number of skills you can train, such as fishing, mining and crafting. Of course, combat skills including magic are important so you can kill monsters (or other players in certain areas of the game).

So all of this is online. Two thousand players can fit in a 'World' which are servers located in various countries. The game has recently been pushing 200,000 players at one time at peak. That's a lot of geeks!

So you have several hundred people in this game doing their own thing, with their own looks and personalities and demeanor (as evidenced primarily through the online chat). It's a living society with its own history, ethics, scams, missions, politics and economy. That's what blows me away. It's an entire make believe world to escape from the real one. Without swearing and sex. (the only thing that sucks).

I'm still an outsider in this make believe world, where I haven't even met anyone to do quests with. I'm more likely to offer help to newcomers (although I'm still flippantly called a noob myself) than join a clan and kill other players.

hmmm...

I suppose there is no escape from the real world. Just distraction from it.

Categories:

1 comment:

Anon said...

Great blog. Random thoughts about real life, which I can live vicariously through you. Or in Runescape.