2006-06-20

A couple more great links

I suppose after spending 22 years in Toronto, I can be considered an urbanism. My friends from Greenwood told me after 3 years I likely couldn't move back to the slower pace there. Perhaps with age I can. Those in the very place I used to live will consider me an outsider for many years after my return.

The thing about Greenwood, and any small town across this wonderful country, is that the concept of "public space" exists at a different level than in a metropolis. For example, the Fitness Trail in nearby Kingston is the purest of public spaces, built with money saved away. It provides however a time that is shared with those within your own circle, not time spent with the public. I have fond memories of walking this public space, as does my mother.

The fact of the matter is, many who live in the Kingston area are land owners, many with several acres. So they have Space. Urbanites like me rent, with a few square feet of balcony. So public space becomes more important.

By contrast, Yonge Dundas Square in Toronto is also considered a public space. However, it's not truly public. You can sit on it, and stand in it, but it is an enterprise that one rents for events. And it's made of concrete.

spacing.ca is an awesome online and printed resource that tries to understand Toronto's urban landscape. Their blog provides news and opinions on our shared space. Definitely worth the click. Here's their take on YDS.

Another noteworthy source for T.O info is the Urban Toronto Forum. Primarily focused on architecture and projects, it is an excellent presentation of opinions on public space. Also strongly recommended.

Categories: , , ,

No comments: