2006-06-16

Free Food

Toronto has an edge.

The only thing surlier than a Torontonian Consumer is a Torontonian Retail employee. I'm not sure which came first: The bitchy customer or the ignorant cashier. Throw in a union and you have a grocery store cashier. Apparently not included in the collective agreement is the need for a personality.

My point is, I hate shopping in these parts. Only one thing gives me joy: Free food. Any turkey can find a rotten tomato in Dominion and get a free one. Only the skilled will remember the price of every item, and immediately know if something scanned higher than the shelf price. I am skilled, my friend!

I happened upon a hand-written sign in the frozen food: "Hungry Man Dinners now $3.49"
Wow, $1.50 less than the shelf stickers. A great deal! Since it was the only sign, and it was kinda hidden, I figured it was as good as "Hungry Man Dinners now $0.00"

And sure enough, it scanned at $4.99. I didn't want to bother the cashier with this, since the poor soul obviously hadn't learned to talk. Besides, it's never a good move to tell the cashier. They'll generally just give it to you for the price on the sign. I went to customer service, and got my $4.99 back! The best tasing TV Dinners are free ones.

As an aside:

I would like to point out three facts:

1) A pound is equal to 453.6 grams.

2) Swanson boasts on their Hungry Man dinners "Over 1 lb. of food."

3) Swanson Hungry Man dinners are 455 g.

Why in the hell wouldn't they just add another cut bean and bring it to 5 g. more than a pound instead of 1.4 g?

It's things like this which explain the decline of our society!










Categories: ,

No comments: