2007-05-25

The weekly flyers


Several years ago, I started receiving a plastic bag full of flyers, left conveniently hanging on my door knob every Friday or Saturday.

Now, I'm not a flyer kind of guy. And the local newspaper that is supposed to be in the bag never is. When I'm away for the weekend, everyone knows it from the simple fact the bag is hanging there. I typically end up throwing the works out in the garbage can as I leave my building.

Many moons ago, I bought and affixed a sign to my door asking not to leave junk mail. This addressed the problem probably only half the time.

As luck would have it, a few weeks ago I was leaving my apartment to see a handsome young man coming out of the elevator with a buggy of these stupid bags. He held the elevator for me.

"Do you want to come in for a couple of drinks?" I asked in my mind.

"I live in that apartment right there," I actually said.
"Yeah"
"I'm not sure how much you get to deliver that stupid bag for me each week. Here's ten bucks not to."
"Cool, thanks. No problem"

There hasn't been a flyer hanging off my door knob ever since.

And sadly, no sign of the strapping young man either.

Categories:

No comments: